ASPEN recognizes excellence in research and honors outstanding, dedicated researchers in the field of clinical nutrition and metabolism through its annual research awards program. Recipients of the four major awards categories are highlighted at the ASPEN Nutrition Science & Practice Conference each year.
The Jonathan E. Rhoads Lecture
The Rhoads Lecture — the most prestigious of ASPEN's annual awards — honors Dr. Jonathan E. Rhoads and his pivotal role in the field of nutrition therapy. The award is presented to an individual who is recognized internationally for major contributions to the field of nutrition therapy and has demonstrated a career-long commitment to the improvement of the nutritional status of patients. The lecturer is recommended by the ASPEN Board of Directors and is invited by the president to deliver the lecture at the ASPEN Nutrition Science & Practice Conference. SEE PAST LECTURES
The Stanley J. Dudrick Research Scholar Award
The Stanley J. Dudrick Research Scholar Award honors a mid-career investigator with significant accomplishments in nutrition support research. The award winner receives $5,000, recognition during the Dudrick Symposium at the ASPEN conference, and the honor of planning and chairing next year’s symposium. Nominations are due July 8, 2020. LEARN MORE
George Blackburn Research Mentorship Award
Given by the ASPEN Rhoads Research Foundation, the Blackburn award recognizes a nutrition leader for their achievements as an outstanding research mentor. This award celebrates the academic and research mentorship of Dr. George Blackburn and his commitment and generosity to the ASPEN Rhoads Research Foundation. The award is presented each year at a Foundation event during the ASPEN conference. Nominations are due July 8, 2020. LEARN MORE
Original Abstract Research Awards
Investigators who submit previously unpublished abstracts for the ASPEN Nutrition Science & Practice Conference are automatically eligible for these awards. The deadline for abstract submission is September 30, 2020.
- The Harry M. Vars Award and the Promising Investigator Award are tributes to Dr. Vars and his pioneering developments in parenteral nutrition and are presented to two early career investigators (a winner and a runner-up) who submit top-scoring, original abstracts and who demonstrate excellence in manuscript and oral presentation at ASPEN's Premier Paper Session.
- Research Trainee Awards recognize investigators in training who submit top-scoring abstracts for the ASPEN conference.
- International Abstract Research Awards commend international investigators who submit top-scoring abstracts. There are awards for the best international abstract and international abstracts of distinction.
- Research Workshop Travel Awards are presented to early career investigators who submit top-scoring abstracts that align with the year’s Research Workshop topic.
- Abstracts of Distinction are given to the first authors of top-scoring, original abstracts accepted for presentation at the ASPEN conference.
- Best of ASPEN Awards are presented to the authors of the top-scoring abstract in each of these primary categories: Parenteral Nutrition, Enteral Nutrition, Malnutrition/Obesity/Nutrition Practice Concepts and Issues, Critical Care, GI and Other Metabolic-Related Topics, and Pediatric/Neonatal/Pregnancy/Lactation.