recognize excellence in interdisciplinary clinical nutrition practice in
institutions or agencies who meet certain criteria and compliance with
ASPEN national standards, guidelines and values for the purpose of
awarding them a designation of high achievement.
Nutrition teams will apply using an online application form
with a deadline of October 21, 2019. There will
not be a limit to the number of award recipients. Awards to be given at the ASPEN Nutrition Science & Practice Conference.
- Shall have an identified interdisciplinary group of practitioners
with all 4 disciplines represented (do not need to be formal members of a
team, may work collaboratively, but must be from dietetics, medicine (may include physician assistants), nursing (may include nurse practitioners)
& pharmacy) and need to participate in clinical nutrition or
nutrition support functions in some way, e.g., patient rounds, clinic or home
care visits, nutrition committee, policy &/or formulary activities. Must
show evidence of involvement of all 4 disciplines
- At least 2 team members (from different disciplines) shall be
A team shall be recognized within the institution, or agency as noted by a
letter from a department chair or facility manager / director.
- At least two members of the team (from different disciplines)
shall be certified in nutrition support (NBNSC, BPS, or ABPNS)
- A team shall use ASPEN Standards, Clinical Guidelines
&/or Practice Recommendations (EN or PN Safety) and provide documentation
of using 3 different documents.
- The team shall demonstrate involvement with a nutrition support
quality improvement project such as SustainTM National Patient
Registry for Nutrition Care.
- At least one team member shall attend the annual conference (list last 3 years and names of attendees)
- At least one team member shall present an abstract (platform or
poster), published paper or presentation at a national, chapter, or local
meeting on nutrition support in the past 3 years (list the last 3
calendar years and cite presentations)
- At least 2 team members (from different disciplines) shall
demonstrate involvement with nutrition support organizational activities in the
past 3 years. This may include ASPEN Board of Directors, committees,
task forces, JPEN or NCP journal editorial
boards, or section leadership positions; ASPEN chapter leadership or
committee activities; leadership activities with NBNSC, BPS or ABPNS; or regional nutrition support conference program committees.
- All team members shall demonstrate receiving at least 2 contact
hours annually of continuing education in nutrition during the past 3
recognition will be limited to a period of 5 years (certificates and ASPEN website screen recognition will expire in 5 years). Teams may re-apply
for the award.
- Each team member and the institution will receive a
certificate. One designated team member will receive the team members’
and institutions’ certificates at the ASPEN Nutrition Science and Practice Conference.
- The team will be listed on a new screen of the ASPEN website.
- Local press releases announcing a team’s recognition will be
- Teams achieving this recognition will be mentioned in journals (to