Recommendations and Guidelines
Safety Checklists (Members Only)
Safety checklists are available for ASPEN members only. Click here to log in and access checklists
- Prescribing and Communicating the Parenteral Nutrition Order
- Parenteral Nutrition Order Review and Verification Process
- Parenteral Nutrition Compounding
- Parenteral Nutrition Administration
- How to Improve PN Safety in Your Institution
Adverse Event and Error Reporting Program
ASPEN and the Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP) developed this program to educate clinicians about error reporting with nutrition support therapy. Learn more about this program and report nutrition support errors.
- Product Shortage List: ASPEN is continually addressing the ongoing shortage of PN components by working and maintaining communications with the FDA, pharmaceutical manufacturers, other professional healthcare organizations, and clinicians to stay up to date on the status of shortages, collaborate to resolve shortages, and to provide resources for managing shortages.
- Product Shortage Recommendations: These recommendations, developed by the Clinical Practice Committee Shortage Subcommittee and approved by the Board of Directors, help clinicians manage parenteral nutrition therapy during product shortages.
- NEW! Important Facts About Parenteral Selenium(Selenious Acid): With the recent FDA approval of IV selenium, ASPEN has developed a one-page educational sheet on IV selenium for clinicians. Please share with your colleagues.
- Multi-Chamber Parenteral Nutrition Bags: The following companies produce multi-chamber PN products and have developed charts to show the macro- and micro-nutrients in their products to help clinicians in determining what is appropriate for patients.
Baxter Products Fresenius-Kabi Products
- Intravenous Lipid Emulsions (ILE) Series: Addresses a knowledge gap between best practice recommendations and current practices in parenteral nutrition. (Sponsored by Fresenius Kabi) 2018
- Multi-Chamber Bag Parenteral Nutrition (MCB-PN) Series: Addresses the appropriate use of multi-chamber bag parenteral nutrition. (Sponsored by Fresenius Kabi) 2018
- SmartPN Series: Reinforces among clinicians the value of PN and how to use it safely and appropriately. (Sponsored by Baxter) 2018
- ASHP in collaboration with ASPEN now offers a Nutritional Support Certificate for pharmacists, physicians, and nurses. This self-guided online course consists of 11 modules that review best practices for ordering, access, preparation, and administration of nutritional support. The course provides an overview of the potential complications that could result from enteral or parenteral nutrition. The course also covers malnutrition, nutritional requirements for adults receiving nutrition supports, and monitoring and error reporting.
- ASPEN has partnered with Baxter International Inc. to create SmartPN, a series of educational tools on the appropriate use of parenteral nutrition (PN) therapy.
- ASPEN Best Practices in Parenteral Nutrition Training Series: This four-part live webinar series is a convenient way to get a comprehensive overview on parenteral nutrition. The series has concluded.
- ASPEN Clinical Nutrition Webinar Series often have PN-specific webinars. See schedule.
- Parenteral Nutrition Order Writing Workshop at the ASPEN Nutrition Science & Practice Conference. Each year, ASPEN holds an in-person, PN order writing workshop the day before the conference. Details and registration are available in October.