- Baumer AM, Clark AM, Witmer DR, et al. National survey of the impact of drug shortages in acute care hospitals, Am J Health-Syst Pharm, 2004;61:2015-2022.
- Chabner BA. Drug shortages-a critical challenge for the generic-drug market. N Engl J Med.2011;365:2147-2149.
- Fox ER, Sweet BV, Jensen V. Drug shortages: A complex healthcare crisis. MayoClin Proc. 2014;89:361-373.
- Hantel A, Siegler M, Hlubocky F, Colgan K, Daugherty CK. Prevalence and severity of rationing during drug shortages: A national survey of health system pharmacists. JAMA Intern Med. 2019;179:710–711.
- Kaah R, Sweet RV, Reilly C, et al. Impact of drug shortages on US health system. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2011;68:1811-1819.
- Mazer-Amirshahi M, Fox ER, Zocchi MS, Pines JM, van den Anker JN. Longitudinal trends in U.S. shortages of sterile solutions, 2001-17. Am JHealth-Syst Pharm. 2018;75:1903-1908.
- McLaughlin M, Kotis D, Thomson K, et al. Effects of patient care caused by drug shortages: a survey. JManag Care Spec Pharm. 2013;19:783-788.
- Shaban H, Maurer C, Willborn RJ. Impact of drug shortages on patient safety and pharmacy operation costs. Fed Pract. 2018;35: 24-31.
- Woodcock J, Wosinska M. Eonomic and technological drivers of generic sterile injectable drug shortages. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2013;93:170-176.
- Hernandez I, Sampathkumar S, Good CB, Kesselheim AS, Shrank WH. Changes in drug pricing after drug Shortages in the United States. Ann Intern Med. 2018;75:1903-1908.
PN Component Shortages
- Chan LN. Iatrogenic malnutrition: a serious public health issue caused by drug shortages. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr.2013; 37:702-704.
- Guenter P, Holcombe B, Mirtallo JM, Plogsted SW, DiBaise JK; Clinical Practice and Public Policy Committees, American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. Parenteral nutrition utilization: response to drug shortages. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2014;38:11-12.
- Gumpper KF. Drug shortages and training. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012;36; 2 suppl: 42S-43S.
- Hanson C, Thoene M, Wagner J, Collier D, Lecci K, Anderson-Berry A. Parenteral nutrition additive shortages: the short-term, long-term and potential epigenetic implications in premature and hospitalized infants. Nutrients. 2012;4:1977-1988.
- Hassig TB, McKinzie BP, Fortier CR, Taber D. Clinical management strategies and implications for parenteral nutrition drug shortages in adult patients. Pharmacotherapy. 2014;34:72-84.
- Holcombe B. Parenteral nutrition product shortages: impact on safety. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012;36:2suppl,44S-47S.
- Holcombe B, Mattox TW, Plogsted S. Drug shortages: Effect on parenteral nutrition therapy. Nutr Clin Pract. 2018;33(1):53-61.
- Kaur K, O'Connor AH, Illig SM, Kopcza KB. Drug shortages as an impetus to improve parenteral nutrition practices. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2013;70:1533-1537.
- Mirtallo JM. The drug shortage crisis. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2011;35:433.
- Mirtallo JM, Holcombe B, Kochevar M, Guenter P. Parenteral nutrition product shortages: the A.S.P.E.N. strategy. Nutr Clin Pract. 2012;27:385-391.
- Mostafavifar L, Evans DC. Four‐oil lipid emulsion (Smoflipid) as a tool in managing parenteral nutrition shortages. Nutr Clin Pract. 2018;33:584.
- Nystrom EM, Bergquist WJ, Wieruszewski PM, McMahon MM, Barreto EF. Parenteral nutrition drug shortages: A single-center experience with rapid process change. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2019;43(5):583-590.
Nutrient Deficiencies and Complications Associated with PNComponent Shortages
- Sant VR, Arnell TD, Seres DS. Zinc deficiency with dermatitis in a parenteral nutrition–dependent patient due to national shortage of trace minerals. JPEN J Parenter EnteralNutr. 2016;40: 592-595.
- Bible JO, Evans DC, Payne B, Mostafavifar L. Impact of drug shortages on patients receiving parenteral nutrition after laparotomy. JPEN J Parenter EnteralNutr. 2014; 38:65S-71S.
- Davis, C, Javid PJ, Horslen S. Selenium deficiency in pediatric patients with intestinal failure as a consequence of drug shortage. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2014;38:115-118.
- Franck AJ. Zinc deficiency in a parenteral nutrition–dependent patient during a parenteral trace element product shortage. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2014;38:637-39.
- Palm E, Dotson B. Copper and zinc deficiency in a patient receiving long-term parenteral nutrition during a shortage of parenteral trace element products. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2015;39:986-989.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Notes from the field: zinc deficiency dermatitis in cholestatic extremely premature infants after a nationwide shortage of injectable zinc—Washington, DC, December 2012 [published correction appears in MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013 Mar; 15;62(10):196]. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013 Feb 22;62(7):136-137.
- Ruktanonchai D, Lowe, M, Norton SA, et al. Zinc deficiency-associated dermatitis in infants during a nationwide shortage of injectable zinc - Washington, DC, and Houston, Texas, 2012-2013. [published (correction appears in MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014 Jan 31;63(4):82]. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014 Jan 17;63(2):35-7.
- Pramyothin P, Kim DW, Young LS, Wichabnsawakun S, Apovian CM. Anemia and leukopenia in a long-term parenteral nutrition patient during a shortage of parenteral trace element products in the United States. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2013;37; 425-429.
- Corrigan M, Kirby DF. Impact of a national shortage of sterile ethanol on a home parenteral nutrition practice: A case series. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012;36:476-480.
Drug Shortages: Public health threat continues, despite efforts to help ensure product availability. GAO-14-194. Published: February 10, 2014, Publicly Released: February 10, 2014.
Drug Shortages: Certain factors are strongly associated with this persistent public health challenge. GAO-16-595. Published: July 7, 2016, Publicly Released July7, 2016.
An Economic Analysis of Drug Shortages ASPE Report (October 2011)
2010 Drug Shortages Summit (November 2010)
2013 Drug Shortage Summit: Evaluating Long-term Solutions (April 2013)
2014 Drug Shortage Summit (August 2014)
Drug Shortages Roundtable: Minimizing Impact on Patient Care ( November 2017)
Summit on Drug Shortages to Examine Impact on National Security and Health Care Infrastructure (September 2018)
- FDA Reports on Drug Shortages to Congress – 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013
- FDA Public Meeting - Identifying the Root Causes of Drug Shortages and Finding Enduring Solutions (November 2018)