With more than 70 pages filled with detailed illustrations and photographs, The Practitioner’s Guidecovers the fundamental skills needed for the early identification and prevention of pediatric malnutrition.
The Practitioner’s Guide provides comprehensive and specific explanations of the head-to-toe physical exam individualized to different stages of development from full-term birth through adolescence.
These are critically important skills because the onset of malnutrition in infants and children can be rapid and because chronic malnutrition during periods of growth can delay maturation and impair brain function.
Key Features of
Physical Exam Guide and Visual Learning Tools
Illustrated explanation of the head-to-to physical exam on infants, children, and adolescents to assess nutritional status, including:
- muscle wasting
- fat stores
- fluid status
- potential signs of micronutrient deficiencies
- nutrition concerns for specialty populations including patients with obesity, neurological impairments, and critical illness
Guidance on and Tips for:
- Indicators of malnutrition in pediatric patients
- Growth parameters and how to assess malnutrition using growth charts and z scores
- Interviewing pediatric patients and their caregivers
- Sections on nutrition concerns and growth in infants and toddlers; preschool- and school-age children; and adolescents
Available as Spiral-bound book and eBook. Published by the American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, March 2019
ABOUT THE WRITING
TEAM AND EDITOR
Guide was written by the following members of the Pediatric Nutrition Support Team, Pediatric Institute, Cleveland Clinic Children’s:
--Hanna Freeman, MS, RD, CSP, LD
--Bette Klein, MS, RD, CSP, LD
--Sara Bewley, MS, RD, CSP, LD
--Merideth Miller, RD, CSP
It was edited by the Director of the Pediatric Nutrition Support Team, Christina DeTallo, MS, MBA, RD, CSP, LD
Cleveland Clinic Children’s is dedicated to medical, surgical, and rehabilitative care of infants, children, and adolescents. Its staff uses the latest technology and most recent research to achieve the best possible outcomes at over 40 locations across northeast Ohio.