Nutrition care is vital, particularly in patients with infections. Below are COVID-19 nutrition support resources from ASPEN and our clinical and industry partners. We are providing these important resources to everyone for free. To support and join ASPEN in our mission to improve patient care by advancing the science and practice of clinical nutrition, please consider becoming a member.
Updated December 24, 2020. Bookmark this page and check back regularly for updates and new content.
Recommendations | Enteral Nutrition | Parenteral Nutrition | Educational Resources
Journal Articles | Patient Stories | ASPEN in the News
Recommendations from ASPEN and Other Professional Organizations
- New! Caring for Critically Ill Children With Suspected or Proven Coronavirus Disease 2019 Infection, Recommendations by the Scientific Sections’ Collaborative of the European Society of Pediatric and Neonatal Intensive Care
- New! Recomendaciones de la Academia Nacional de Medicina de Colombia sobre Alimentación y Nutrición frente a la infección por SARSCoV2- COVID-19, Academia Nacional de Medicina de Colombia
- Ethical Framework for Nutrition Support Resource Allocation During Shortages: Lessons From COVID‐19, Nutrition in Clinical Practice, June 2020, Barrocas et al.
- What Can I Eat at Home After Being in the Hospital with COVID-19, Canadian Malnutrition Taskforce and Canadian Nutrition Society. In French
- What Can I Eat at Home After Being in the Intensive Care Unit with COVID-19, Canadian Malnutrition Taskforce and Canadian Nutrition Society. In French
- ASPEN Report on Nutrition Support Practice Processes with COVID-19: The First Response, ASPEN, May 2020. In Spanish
- Nutrition Therapy in the Patient with COVID-19 Disease Requiring ICU Care, ASPEN. In Spanish
- Nutrition and Hydration: Key Weapons in the Fight Against COVID-19, ASPEN Recommendations for Non-ICU COVID-19 Patients. In Spanish
- Nutrition and Hydration: Quick Facts for COVID-19 Patients, ASPEN Recommendations for Non-ICU COVID-19 Patients. In Spanish
- ESPEN Expert Statements and Practical Guidance for Nutritional Management of Individuals with SARS-CoV-2 Infection, Clinical Nutrition, April 2020, Barazzoni R et al.
- Declaraciones de Expertos ESPEN Y Orientación Práctica para el Manejo Nutricional de Individuos con Infección SARS-CoV-2, Clinical Nutrition, April 2020, Barazzoni R et al.
- British Association for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition COVID-19 Resources, BAPEN
- Guidelines for the Provision and Assessment of Nutrition Support Therapy in the Pediatric Critically Ill Patient, JPEN 2017 Vol 41, Issue 5, Nilesh M. Mehta, MD et al.
- Guidelines for the Provision and Assessment of Nutrition Support Therapy in the Adult Critically Ill Patient, JPEN 2016 Vol 40, Issue 2, Stephen A. McClave MD et al.
Enteral Nutrition (EN)
- ASPEN EN Care Pathway: Steps and resources for managing critically ill adult patients requiring enteral nutrition (EN), starting at needs assessment through transition out of the ICU.
- Managing EN Supplies During Increased Demand: Suggestions and information on potential enteral supply challenges.
- Supply News from EN Industry: These updates from our industry partners are for information only. ASPEN does not endorse these statements and suggests you contact the industry partner with any questions.
Parenteral Nutrition (PN)
Managing PN Supply During Increased Demand: Some clinicians have reported an increased use of multi-chamber bag parenteral nutrition (MCB-PN) products as they require fewer pharmacy resources to prepare and those resources are being used elsewhere for other pharmacy acute care services. Here is information on MCB-PN:
*This is for information only. ASPEN does not endorse these products.
FDA Provides Compounding Flexibility
According to ASHP, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced clarifications for compounding of drugs in shortage and compounding in hospitals. Specifically, FDA announced that it will not enforce the one-mile radius requirement from the agency's 2016 Hospital and Health System Compounding Draft Guidance. This clarification was not time-limited and it is anticipated to remain in effect after the national emergency ends. FDA also clarified which drugs it designates as not "commercially available," meaning that these drugs can be compounded by 503A and 503B pharmacies. FDA further noted that it would not be enforcing the 5% limit on interstate distribution of compounded drugs until after the draft Memorandum of Understanding takes effect.
ISMP Newsletter: Anticipated Shortage of Smart Infusion Pumps
PPE Practices for Sterile Compounding During COVID-19: FDA Guidance
Supply News from PN Industry: These updates from our industry partners are for information only. ASPEN does not endorse these statements and suggests you contact the industry partner with any questions.
Educational Resources on COVID-19 and Nutrition
- New! Learning from COVID-19: The Value of Nutrition Across the Care Spectrum, Joint webinar with ASPEN, BAPEN, and CNS
- Management of food allergies & related allergic conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond, brought to you by Nutricia North America
- FPIES (Food Protein-Induced Enterocolitis Syndrome) in the time of COVID-19, brought to you by Nutricia North America
- COVID-19: What's Next. Preparing for the Second Wave, presented by SCCM and sponsoring societies. September 11-12, 2020.
- Nutritional Management in Care Homes and Learnings from COVID-19, sponsored by Nutricia
- Managing Nutrition Support for Critically Ill COVID-19 Patients ( Recording) ( Slides), ASPEN and SCCM
- Nutritional Rehabilitation After Covid-19 Infection: Homeward-Bound After Hospital Discharge, Hosted by EFAD, sponsored by Nutricia
- Nutrition Care of the COVID-19 Patient Series, Abbott Nutrition Health Institute
- SARS-CoV-2 Nutrition: An Evolving Perspective, Nestlé Nutrition Institute
- Nutrition of the Critically Ill COVID-19 Patient - Making it Simple, European Society of Intensive Care Medicine
- Strategies for the nutritional management of COVID-19 patients post-ICU, Nutricia
- Managing nutrition support for COVID-19 ICU patients, Nutricia
- Nutritional Management of COVID-19 Patients Webinar Series, Nutricia ANZ and Dietitian Connection
- Feeding the Critically Ill COVID-19 Patient Webinar Series, Fresenius Kabi
- Helping Empower Recovery - the Online Series (HERO), Baxter
- Enteral Nutrition in the ICU: COVID 19 Challenges, Nestlé Nutrition Institute
- Infusion Therapy - Conserving Supplies in the Age of COVID-19: An ECRI lab webcast
Submit COVID-19 Articles for Fast-Track Publication
ASPEN is fast-tracking the review and publication of manuscripts in JPEN and NCP that address the COVID-19 pandemic!
- Clinical Nutrition Research and the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Scoping Review of the ASPEN COVID-19 Nutrition Taskforce First published: JPEN, 23 October 2020
- Nutrition Support During Prone Positioning: An Old Technique Reawakened by COVID-19 First published: NCP, 23 October 2020
- Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring to Assess Parenteral Nutrition–Induced Hyperglycemia in an Adult Patient With Severe COVID‐19 First published: JPEN, 21 October 2020
- PEG Tube Placement in COVID‐19 patients: A Multidisciplinary Approach Published as an accepted article in Digestive Endoscopy, 16 October 2020
- Nutrition Therapy in Critically Ill Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 First published: JPEN, 27 May 2020
- Challenges of Maintaining Optimal Nutritional Status in COVID‐19 Patients in Intensive Care Settings First published: JPEN, 16 August 2020
- Evaluation of Nutrition Risk and Its Association With Mortality Risk in Severely and Critically Ill COVID‐19 Patients First published: JPEN, 01 July 2020
- Nutrition Status Affects COVID‐19 Patient Outcomes First published: JPEN, 01 July 2020
- Hypermetabolism and Coronavirus Disease 2019 First published: JPEN, 19 June 2020
- Relevant Nutrition Therapy in COVID‐19 and the Constraints On Its Delivery by a Unique Disease Process First published: NCP, 12 August 2020
- Gastrointestinal Manifestations of COVID‐19: Impact on Nutrition Practices First published: NCP, 15 July 2020
- ASPEN Report on Nutrition Support Practice Processes With COVID‐19: The First Response, First published: NCP, 16 July 2020
- Ethical Framework for Nutrition Support Resource Allocation During Shortages: Lessons From COVID‐19 First published: NCP, 03 June 2020
ASPEN in the News