May 06, 2021, 1:00 PM -
Event Type: Webinars
Part 1: Transitioning off Nutrition Support and the Use of Oral Supplements
Date: May 6, 2021
Time: 1:00 – 2:30 PM ET
The transition off nutrition support is an important part of medical nutrition therapy and must be given special attention to decrease the risk of malnutrition and/or prevent malnutrition. Meeting nutritional requirements and ensuring adequate tolerance to nutrition support is essential when a patient is transitioning from parenteral to enteral nutrition as well as enteral nutrition to an oral diet. Additionally, making the transition out of the intensive care unit to the general hospital ward and eventually to the home setting requires closely monitoring the patient to prevent complications that may be associated with nutrition support and nutritional deficiencies. This webinar, the first of a two-part series will focus on these issues in the adult patient.
- Describe the importance of adequate and safe transitions from enteral and parenteral nutrition to an oral diet.
- Outline approaches to successfully transition patients from nutrition support to achieving optimal oral intake.
- Identify and address challenges in achieving adequate nutrient intake during transition from the intensive care unit to the ward setting.
- Identify patients who could benefit from nutritional supplementation, before, during and after hospitalization
- Describe clinical scenarios where nutritional supplementation has shown positive clinical benefit
Faculty and Topics
Optimal Transitions from Nutrition Support to an Oral Diet
Ainsley Malone, MS, RD, LD, CNSC, FAND, FASPEN, Nutrition Support Dietitian, Food and Nutrition Services, Mt. Carmel East Hospital, Columbus, OH
Oral Supplements and Diet Optimization Around Hospitalization
Diego Arenas Moya, MD, Master in Clinical Nutrition, Medical Director of Sanvite, Director of Clinical Nutrition, Intestinal Failure Unit, San Javier Hospital, Jalisco, Mexico
Mireille H. Hamdan, MS, RD, LDN, CNSC, Nutrition Support Dietitian, Mayo Clinic Florida, Jacksonville, FL
CE Credits: 1.5 hours
Learn More and Register