Each year, ASPEN's Nominations Committee is tasked with selecting and presenting a Slate of Candidates for open positions on the Board of Directors. Members of the ASPEN Board of Directors are responsible for developing the strategic vision and priorities of the organization. As such, the Nominations Committee process to select these individuals is thoughtful and extensive.
The ASPEN Nominations Committee is pleased to present the ASPEN membership with the following Slate of Candidates for service on the 2022-2023 Board of Directors. Selected accomplishments are highlighted for each candidate. Terms begin on June 1, 2022. The full Board of Directors for the coming year is also included below.
Ajay Jain, MD, DNB, MHA
- Director, MD/PhD Program, Saint Louis University, School of Medicine
- Associate Division Chief, Pediatric Gastroenterology Hepatology and Nutrition; Section Head, Pediatric Nutrition, Saint Louis University
- Professor (Tenured), Pediatrics, Secondary Appointment, Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, Saint Louis University
- 2021 Gerard Odell Prize for Excellence in Liver Research, North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition (NASPGHAN), Recognizing Excellence in Pediatric Liver Research, 2021
- 2020 Stanley J. Dudrick Research Scholar Award
- Board Member, ASPEN Rhoads Research Foundation
Praveen Goday, MD
- Associate Program Director, Pediatric Gastroenterology Fellowship Program, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Chairperson, Nutrition Support Committee, Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin
- 2007-2022 Best Doctors in America
Sharon Irving, PhD, RN, CRNP, FCCM, FAAN, FASPEN
- Associate Professor of Pediatric Nursing, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia, PA
- Nurse Scientist, Clinical Critical Care Center for Evidence and Outcomes, Department of Critical Care Nursing, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Vice-Chair, Department of Family & Community Health, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
- Marilyn Stringer Academic Practice Award, Department of Family and Community Health, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
Diana Mager, PhD, MSc, RD
- Professor, Clinical Nutrition, Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutrition Sciences/Department of Pediatrics, Alberta Institute for Human Nutrition (AIHN)/Alberta Diabetes Institute/Woman’s Child and Health Research Institute, University of Alberta
- Consultant, Nutrition Support Dietitian for Adult and Pediatric Patients on Home PN, Concord Pharmacy, Concord ONT, Canada
- 2019 Canadian Liver Foundation 50th Anniversary Recognition Medal, Canadian Liver Foundation
- Member, ASPEN Rhoads Research Foundation Grants Review Committee
Mary McCarthy, PhD, RN, CNSC, FAAN, FASPEN
- Senior Nurse Scientist, US Army/Madigan Army Medical Center
- 2017-2020 American Association of Critical Care Nurses, Mountain to Sound Chapter, Newsletter Chair, Secretary
- 2018-2020 American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, Nursing Section, Chair
- 2021 Scientific Mentorship Award (Category: Retired Military), Triservice Nursing Research Program
Christina Valentine, MD, MS, RD, FAAP
- Professor/Neonatologist, Banner University Medical Center, The University of Arizona; Medical Director, Perinatal Nutrition
- 2014-2021 Medical Director, North America, Mead Johnson Nutrition/Reckitt Benckiser
- 2018 Impact Award, Mead Johnson Nutrition
The following members will continue to serve on the Board of Directors:
- President: Ryan Hurt, MD, PhD
- President-Elect: Phil Ayers, PharmD, BCNSP, FASHP
- Immediate Past President: Gail Cresci, PhD, RD, LD, CNSC
- Secretary/Treasurer: Kris Mogensen, MS, RD-AP, LDN, CNSC
- Kathy Gura, PharmD, BCNSP, FASHP, FPPA, FASPEN, FMSHP
- M. Molly McMahon, MD, FASPEN, ex officio, ASPEN Rhoads Research Foundation President
- The membership can present additional nominations for any position by submitting a petition containing the signatures of 2.5% of the voting membership to the ASPEN office by April 18, 2022.
- If there is only one nominee for any officer or director position, the Secretary-Treasurer shall cast a unanimous ballot for said officer or director.
- If there is more than one nominee for any officer or director position, a ballot shall be sent to the membership no later than April 30, 2022, listing all candidates for each position for which more than one candidate has been nominated. The nominee receiving a plurality of votes cast shall be elected.
The Nominations Committee is appointed each year and consists of the President, President-Elect, Immediate Past President, one member appointed by the Board of Directors and one individual each representing the Board of Advisors, the Committee and Task Force Chairs, and the Section Chairs.
If you have any questions please contact Wanda Johnson, Chief Executive Officer at [email protected].