Certification Examination for
Physician Nutrition Specialists
National Board of Physician Nutrition Specialists
2014 Examination Dates*:
First Day of Testing: Saturday; November 1, 2014
Last Day of Testing: Saturday; November 15, 2014
Application Deadline for Fall 2014 Exam:
September 15, 2014
*Candidates select their own date and time within the testing window.
Handbook for Candidates/Application
Handbook must be viewed in Adobe Acrobat
Requirements for eligibility have been revised due to the fact that at the present time, positions for formal training in clinical nutrition are limited. Requirements are re-evaluated on an annual basis.
To be eligible to take the NBPNS exam, a candidate must meet three requirements:
- Current licensure to practice medicine in the US, or the equivalent in other countries.
All candidates for certification and recertification must be licensed to practice medicine in the country in which they reside.
- ABMS Board certification or the equivalent outside the US
- Demonstrated expertise in nutrition defined by one or more of the following: *
- Mentored training in clinical nutrition (requires letter of recommendation from mentor).
- Dedicated service on a hospital Multidisciplinary Nutrition Team (requires letter of recommendation from hospital chief of staff or physician head of department).
- Performance of research with publications in nutrition (provide documentation on curriculum vitae).
- Teaching position involving nutrition at an academic medical center (requires letter of recommendation from department chairman).
- Committee membership and/or leadership role in a national nutrition society (provide documentation on curriculum vitae).
- Completion of a minimum of 150 hours of Continuing Medical Education (CME) devoted to clinical nutrition (provide CME documentation).
- Regional peer-recognized leadership role in nutrition (requires letter of recommendation from peer in community).
Final acceptance of eligibility is subject to satisfactory review by the NBPNS Board.