The Lyn Howard Nutrition Support Consumer Advocacy Award
ASPEN members work directly with patients, families, and/or caregivers who perform admirable activities and heroically advocate for others like themselves and their families. In order to recognize those individuals, this award will be given on an annual basis to one patient/family member/caregiver who has advocated for other patients, families, or caregivers of consumers require parenteral nutrition (PN) or enteral nutrition (EN). Advocacy efforts include such activities as lobbying for legislation to improve care or reimbursement, developing educational tools, fundraising for PN or EN research, starting or sustaining support groups, being a consumer advocate, or teaching others about PN or EN.
The ASPEN Patient, Family, Caregiver Advocacy Award has been named in honor of ASPEN member and Oley Foundation co-founder Lyn Howard, MB, FRCP. This award was given for the first time in the 2009 and is given annually at the ASPEN Nutrition Science and Practice Conference(formerly Clinical Nutrition Week). The winner receives a plaque and travel grant to come to the meeting.
Please consider nominating a consumer, caregiver, and or family member of a consumer.
Criteria for Award
- Award nominees must be a patient (EN or PN consumer), or a family member or caregiver of such a patient.
- Award nominees must have demonstrated admirable activities which advocate for themselves or others receiving EN or PN.
- Award winner or their representative should be able to attend the conference for the upcoming year in order to receive the award.
- Award nominees should be (although not absolutely) able to briefly articulate their story at the conference at the award ceremony.
Please complete the application form (Opening Soon). Deadline for nominations are due October 21, 2019.
Past Award Recipients
Barney Sellers Advocacy Award
Barney Sellers, former ASPEN executive director, had a tremendous impact on public policy and advocacy during his 15-year tenure. Specifically, he was instrumental in working with many members to advance our advocacy goals and give ASPEN a voice among policy makers in the US.
In late 2009, the Board of Directors approved the Barney Sellers Advocacy Award in honor of his work. This award will be given annually to an ASPEN member who has significantly contributed to advancing our advocacy goals.
Nominations due by October 21, 2019.
Criteria for Award
- Award nominees must be a member of ASPEN
- Award nominees must have contributed to ASPEN's advocacy and public policy initiatives.
Nominations can be forwarded to ASPEN Staff until September 30, 2018.
A short application (Opening Soon) should be completed by the nominator as a letter of support for the nominee.
A task force made up of members of the Public Policy Committee and ASPEN staff will review the nominations, hold a conference call, and decide on the awardee by December 1 of the year prior to the award ceremony.