NBNSC certification provides an avenue to demonstrate that you have attained the skills and knowledge necessary to provide quality nutrition support care. We have determined the body of knowledge needed to have an understanding of nutrition support and developed a fair and valid means to test care providers including physicians, dietitians, pharmacists, physician assistants, dentists, and nurses.
Certified professionals are recognized as quality providers of nutrition support by the public, their colleagues, other members of the healthcare team, and administrators. The Certified Nutrition Support Clinician
(CNSC®) certification can provide job mobility, open up job opportunities, and, in some cases, lead to promotion and monetary gain.
Objectives of Certification
To promote enhanced delivery of safe and effective care through the certification of qualified clinicians in nutrition support by:
- Recognizing formally those individuals who meet eligibility requirements of the National Board of Nutrition Support Certification, Inc. and pass the certification examination for nutrition support clinicians.
- Encouraging continued professional growth in the practice of nutrition support.
- Establishing and measuring the level of knowledge required for certification by a nutrition support clinician.
- Providing a standard of minimum knowledge deemed appropriate for clinicians practicing nutrition support; thereby assisting the public, healthcare professionals, and employers in the assessment of nutrition support clinicians.
How to Get Certified
- Download and review the Candidate Handbook.
- Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements or develop a plan to meet the eligibility requirements.
- Apply to take the exam.
- Prepare and take the exam.
Important Updates to NBNSC's Credentialing Program
Nutrition Support is an inter-professional field. After conducting extensive research, NBNSC developed a new credential, the CNSC® that is fair and valid for all professional disciplines involved in nutrition support. The dietitians, nurses, pharmacists, dentists, physician assistants, and physicians who provide care share a common body of knowledge and expertise that NBNSC has captured in the new exam format. The content of the exam reflects the tasks that healthcare professionals provide on a daily basis.
Click here for frequently asked questions about the NBNSC certification examination.