The workshop is designed to train clinicians to assess a patient requiring parenteral nutrition (PN) and subsequently initiate and manage the PN therapy for that patient. The workshop will be offered in two sessions. The first will emphasize the basic concepts of PN order writing and management and the second will allow for application of the knowledge gained through work in small groups with faculty experts.
Workshop capacity is limited to 40 participants. This small class size will be optimal for hands-on learning with the course faculty to ensure each participant completes the course with improved skills in creating and managing PN orders.
- Create and write a PN formula according to the patient’s nutrition assessment
- Create a safe PN formula order per compounding and stability limits
- Identify potential nutrient interactions in a PN solution and adjust the PN order accordingly
- Manage PN in a patient from initiation to achieving the goal rate and beyond
- Manage electrolytes in PN in the face of abnormal patient laboratory values and medications
- Manage PN while accounting for differences in patient diagnoses and age
M. Petrea Cober, PharmD, BCNSP, BCPPS, Clinical Pharmacy Coordinator, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit; PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Director, Akron Children’s Hospital, Akron, OH
Jessica Monczka, RD, LDN, CNSC, Clinical Dietitian Specialist, Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children,
Orlando Health, Orlando, FL
Ainsley M. Malone, MS, RD, LD, CNSC, FAND, FASPEN, Nutrition Support Dietitian, Nutrition Support Team, Pharmacy Department, Mt. Carmel West Hospital, Columbus, OH
Karrie Derenski, PharmD, BCNSP, CNSC, Metabolic Support Coordinator, Department of Pharmacy, CoxHealth, Springfield, MO
Karrie Derenski, PharmD, BCNSP, CNSC
Learning Level: Basic
CE Credit: 8 hours